21 January 2009

Get on Board, or Else

For me, the difficulty in marching lock step with "seemingly everyone" for the next four years comes from the fact that I didn't just wake up politically after the most recent Iowa primary.

Liberals rightly recoil at the prospect of conservatives dictating which morals they should live by. Obama, though, has spent the past year preaching his own brand of morality — with a list of demands. Everyone, you see, "must" sacrifice. Michelle Obama recently explained, "Barack Obama will require you to work. . . . Barack will never allow you to go back to your lives as usual, uninvolved, uninformed." Those of us who refuse to buy left-wing orthodoxy will remain "uninformed" and, inevitably,
"selfish."

To require such fealty to power in the name of patriotism was once repugnant to the left. Now, with the right guy in charge, apparently it can once again be embraced.

Look, I AM rooting for the guy because I am rooting for us, as a nation. I want it all to be good for America but I continue to be creeped out by those who have never thought about the difference between sloganeering and governing.

No comments: